We have prepared the following compensation guidelines for use by congregational councils, other ministry agencies, and church workers. These guidelines offer guidance regarding the minimum levels of compensation that are appropriate for pastors, rostered lay leaders, Synodically Authorized Ministers and non-rostered employees of congregations in the synod.
These guidelines are designed to be a resource to assist church leaders in compensating church workers in ways that are fair, supportive and mission-driven. As you use these guidelines, please keep in mind that pastors, rostered lay leaders and other church workers are valuable resources for the whole church.
Compensation decisions should be viewed in light of other significant commitments by a congregation — such as a commitment to justice for church staff persons and a commitment to supporting the work of the wider church through ELCA/synodical mission support.
Current Compensation Guidelines (2017):
2018 Compensation Guidelines:
- 2018 NWMN Compensation Guidelines Word and Sacrament with Housing Allowance
- 2018 NWMN Compensation Guidelines Word and Sacrament with Parsonage
- 2018 NWMN Compensation Guidelines Word and Service
- 2018 NWMN Compensation Guidelines SAMs
- 2018 NWMN Compensation Guidelines Lay Church Workers
Past Compensation Guidelines: