The Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) is an organization of high-school age young people who are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The LYO is a place where the voices of young people are lifted up in the church. This ministry happens through young people discussing and advocating issues of importance to them concerning faith, youth ministry, the ELCA, local communities, and the world.
With the Synod’s shift from 10 conferences to eight conferences, the LYO Board will be taking this opportunity to tweak how elections are done for the LYO Board. We will be electing youth in conferences 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.
- Each congregation is asked to designate two youth as voting members, preferably one male and one female.
- These two voting members may participate in the election of the conference representative. Each congregation will receive two colored wristbands to designate their voting members.
- If you have a youth that is interested in being a Conference Representative, they will need to fill out an application BEFORE the gathering and turn it in at registration. Candidates must be in Grade 9, 10, or 11.
- There are a total of three “At-Large” positions on the board for youth. These positions will be interviewed by a team from the current LYO Board; preference will given to youth who are from a different congregation than the Conference Representative.
- The two “At-Large positions” currently open are the Synod Assembly Planning Representative and one At-Large position.
- Also new this year is a place for a pastor/youth leader to answer a few questions about the potential LYO Board members on the application.
NWMN Synod Senior High Youth Gathering
Details regarding the 2018 Senior High Youth Gathering have not yet been announced.
NWMN Synod Middle School Youth Gathering
Young Life’s Castaway Club near Detroit Lakes, MN!
Conferences 1-5 – April 28-29, 2017
Conference 5-8 – April 29-30, 2017
Cost: Registration is $95 a person (youth, adult and WHEATY). What is included in that? You will receive housing, an awesome t-shirt; great worship music; powerful presenters; terrific nightlife (black light dance and more!); moving breakout sessions, a pizza snack Night one, breakfast and lunch on Day 2; all the stuff that youth boast about at school the Monday after the gathering. All of that while exploring Jesus’ life!
If the night that your conference is assigned to come, does not work for your congregation, please email Kristina (email@example.com) and she will make the necessary arrangements with you.
Non-refundable registration cost $95.00 until April 3rd
Registrations received April 4th – April 21st will be $125.00
WHEATYs are High School teens, who will have a short training session in leadership skills. Every church can have at least 2. Then, you can have extra WHEATYs at this ratio: 5 participants to 1 WHEATY, so at 15 Middle Schoolers there can be 3 and so on. However, the number of WHEATYs cannot outnumber the number of adults. The LYO Board recommends at least a 1:7 adult to youth ratio. See the WHEATY packet below for more information.
- Download: WHEATY Informational Packet
June 27 – July 1, 2018