Register for the LYO Middle School Gathering
The Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) is an organization of high-school age young people who are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The LYO is a place where the voices of young people are lifted up in the church. This ministry happens through young people discussing and advocating issues of importance to them concerning faith, youth ministry, the ELCA, local communities, and the world.
With the Synod’s shift from 10 conferences to eight conferences, the LYO Board will be taking this opportunity to tweak how elections are done for the LYO Board. We will be electing youth in conferences 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.
- Each congregation is asked to designate two youth as voting members, preferably one male and one female.
- These two voting members may participate in the election of the conference representative. Each congregation will receive two colored wristbands to designate their voting members.
- If you have a youth that is interested in being a Conference Representative, they will need to fill out an application BEFORE the gathering and turn it in at registration. Candidates must be in Grade 9, 10, or 11.
- There are a total of three “At-Large” positions on the board for youth. These positions will be interviewed by a team from the current LYO Board; preference will given to youth who are from a different congregation than the Conference Representative.
- The two “At-Large positions” currently open are the Synod Assembly Planning Representative and one At-Large position.
- Also new this year is a place for a pastor/youth leader to answer a few questions about the potential LYO Board members on the application.
NWMN Synod Senior High Youth Gathering
April 13-15, 2018 at Luther Crest Bible Camp – Alexandria, MN
NWMN Synod Middle School Youth Gathering
Information regarding the 2018 Middle School Gathering is not yet available.
WHEATYs are High School teens, who will have a short training session in leadership skills. Every church can have at least 2. Then, you can have extra WHEATYs at this ratio: 5 participants to 1 WHEATY, so at 15 Middle Schoolers there can be 3 and so on. However, the number of WHEATYs cannot outnumber the number of adults. The LYO Board recommends at least a 1:7 adult to youth ratio. See the WHEATY packet below for more information.
- Download: WHEATY Informational Packet
June 27 – July 1, 2018